Tuesday 13 March 2012

The Dog Who Belonged to No One by Amy Hest

I wasn't sure about reading this book with Harry because he's pretty sensitive and much of the book is rather melancholy.

As well as the dog who belongs to no one, there's a "wisp of a girl" named Lia, who spends her time delivering bread from her parents' bakery and making up stories as she rides her bike. Both of them are longing for a friend.

And then, one night, they are both caught in a storm and both arrive at Lia's house at the same time. They get dry, they eat cake, and they become friends.

It's an incredibly sweet and easy to read story and the illustrations by Amy Bates are absolutely beautiful. Old-fashioned (I know I always say that) and beautifully detailed - the kind of illustrations I'm tempted to rip out and frame.

And I needn't have worried about Harry - the first time I read it, he said, "That was a lovely story. I'm sad and happy at the same time."

1 comment: